Bowling has long been a special sport to me. I felt like it had something precious, dare I say, holy, about it. I’ve finally discovered why. Bowling is God’s favorite sport. Here are 12 reasons why:
1. A perfect game is 12 strikes. Same as the number of Jesus’ disciples.
2. The pins are lined up in the shape of a triangle. This clearly represents the Trinity.
3. I’ve known many pastors who are very good at bowling, but few who are very good at football or hockey.
4. A strike is symbolized by an “X”. X in Greek is chi, which is the first letter in Christos (i.e. Christ).
5. The pins are white, which is the liturgical color used on the two most important days in the Christian church: Easter and Christmas.
6. Each pin has red stripes on it. By his stripes we were healed.
7. Have you ever noticed how rainbows look a bit like heavenly bowling lanes?
8. There are five players on a bowling team. There are five books in the Torah. Coincidence? I think not.
9. Bowling is a favorite activity of church youth groups.
10. Have you noticed that as the involvement in church in America has declined over the past 50 years, so has the involvement in bowling?
11. The desire for a strike has led more people to pray than most churches have.
12. Picking up a 7-10 split takes a miracle. This is representative of the divide between humanity and God. Only God can conquer both.
Clearly, bowling is God’s favorite sport. Don’t you think? What reasons might you add to this list?