Thanks to a wonderful podcast that I listen to every week called The Moonshine Jesus Show, I have really gotten into playing hashtag games lately. If you are unfamiliar with hashtag games, then you must not spend much time on Twitter. A hashtag game is when someone creates a hashtag that basically asks a question. Then others respond to that question using the hashtag. For example, the current hashtag game for The Moonshine Jesus Show is #ReasonsImNotInChurch. People are asked to respond with a reason that someone might not be in church. Often times the responses to these hashtag games are funny, ridiculous, or insightful. In light of this new passion of mine, I decided to come up with 7 hashtag games that combine Christianity and Sports in some way. So, without further ado, here are 7 Christian Sports Hashtag Games:
1. #HowChristianAthletesKiss – In light of the whole controversy with Michael Sam and “the kiss heard round the world,” I thought it would be interesting to hear how ideas of what the celebratory kiss of a “Christian” athlete might look like.
2. #StupidThingsPastorsSay – Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has gotten in a lot of trouble recently for some racist comments he made in a private conversation with someone that was leaked to the media. Owners of sports teams are not the only ones that are often under scrutiny for what they say. So, I thought it would be fun to do a hashtag game about the stupid things that pastors say.
3. #SnarkyChristianTShirts – We all love novelty T-shirts, right? I saw a T-shirt on CBS Sports recently that made light of the gambling of former baseball player and manager Pete Rose. With that in mind, I thought it would be funny to list what snarky statements we might put on a T-shirt about Christianity.
4. #ChurchOlympics – What “events” could be included in a church olympic competition?
5. #ChristianDreamTeam – If you were going to gather some of the greatest Christian minds of all time to be on the same team to better the church, who would you want on that team? And why?
6. #GodsFavoriteSport – I wrote a post a while back entitled 12 Reasons Why Bowling Is God’s Favorite Sport. In the same vein, I thought it would be fun to make suggestions about what God’s favorite sport might be and why.
7. #PastorParticipationAwards – My most recent blog post was about the recent trend of giving kids awards in sports simply for participating. In ministry sometimes, there are things pastors have to do where they should probably be awarded simply for participating.
What Christian sports hashtag games would you add to this list? Share your ideas with me in the comments or tweet them to me. Feel free to play these hashtag games as well. I’d love to see some of the responses!